Celebrating 40 years!
The FIRST Township in Allegheny County
Stay tuned. Much more coming! :-)
How about this photo of the dedication of the then new Pittsburgh International Airport in 1946?
Click on the bottom right hand corner to enlarge all photos.
This is a photo of the PA Air National Guard posted by Sandie Deeter and Rick Xander on Facebook. Perhaps Base or Squadron #911?
Listed on photo is: Ingham, Boyd, Pratt.
Mim Bizic captured the excitement of the groundbreaking ceremony August 12, 2012 of the new Commissary and PX in this video:
U.S. Commissary Ground Breaking Ceremonies in Moon Township on Soldiers Drive, August 18, 2012, featuring photos by Mim Bizic.
Moon Township Old OAK TREE Treasure:
This beautiful oak is older than our country!
Located at 949 Thorn Run Road, Moon Twp.
When Mary Nimick died, she desired that her 24 room home and 53 acre estate remain intact and as a "Nature Lover's" oasis, so she left the property to Moon Township when she passed away in 1971. The beautiful home was built in the early 1920's by Francis and Mary Nimick. Francis Nimick was a banker, and the couple had six children who lived in the home. Mrs. Nimick was born in 1893.
The home is used almost daily for various programs such as painting, yoga and children's camps and the Moon Area Senior Citizens Association rents the Carriage House in front.
The Hollow Oak Land Trust is an organization that works to conserve land in the region and it also rents out some of the upper rooms.
Weddings and graduation parties are frequently held here also.
Moon's beloved COVENTRY LOG CABIN is also located on the property.
Update: IN MOON TOWNSHIP: IN Community magazine of Winter, 2015, featured a lovely story of recollections of the Nimick family entitled: FOND MEMORIES OF HISTORIC LANDMARK, pp.31-33.
PP. 31, 32, 33: IN Moon Township magazine:
Click the lower right hand corner to enlarge--
The data base includes the Landmark name, Image, Year(s) Constructed, Architect or Builder, Address, Location , Year of PHLF designation and the status. Great help!
Moon Township has this Landmark home listed! Built in 1814, it has been registered with PHLF since 1988. It is also on Thorn Run Road.
Another beautiful Moon mansion on the PHLH registery is now a restaurant, famously known as "Hyeholde." It was built by William Kryskill from 1931-1938, and remodeled in 1952. It's been on the list since 2000.
This painting of the former MEEKS MANSION was painted by our local talented artist, Lance Maloney.
Read more about the Meeks Mansion on our "Articles About Us" page.
To enlarge any photo on this site, simply click the lower right hand corner to open.